What is physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is a treatment to restore, maintain, and maximize a patient’s movement, function and well-being. Physiotherapy helps with physical rehabilitation, injury prevention, health and fitness. Physiotherapists can help you recover.
What can I expect at physiotherapy?
Your session will be unique because it is all about you and your specific needs. In general, this is what happens:
- The physiotherapist gets to know your medical history
- A physiotherapist will evaluate and diagnose your condition
- You receive a treatment plan that sets goals for you
- A course of exercises and any required assistive devices are described
Limitations of physiotherapy
- Difficult patients: Certainly, there are easy patients to work with, the fact is that there are also difficult patients. Just something to keep in mind.
- Difficult coworkers: Like most careers, you may have to work with difficult co-workers. You will work with some amazing people, but you can also work with some difficult co-workers.
- All careers in the healthcare field can be stressful: In fact, most careers offer a certain level of stress. There will surely be stressful situations as a therapist. The key is to understand it and do what you can to fix it.
- Physical demands: Most therapists have some physical requirements. Assuredly that is a requirement for any physical therapist when selection up equipment and demonstrating the exercises to their patients.
- Emotional stress: The sad part of being a therapist is that you see people who are not doing well. And if those people don’t progress the way you want them to, it can be exhausting.
- Little career progression compared to other jobs.
- The emotional challenge of treating people with an illness
- Low salary in Victoria compared to other states
- A lot of paperwork
- Unrealistic expectations of some patients, leading to feeling limited by how much the patient is willing to invest in their own health.
- Work with people of all ages
- Improving people’s health is very beneficial
- Diversify daily work with little repetition
- Obtaining a degree recognized worldwide
- Ability to practice independently in private practice
- The degree is recognized all over the world